Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Coolie Hat Version Paper.0 and Cad.0



Alright, so finally down to designing the actual model. I made a paper sized replica to scale to help myself build it in my mind. I found that creating the paper model eased a lot of my worries, including size, construction, cost and difficulty. I've been obsessing about how to make this hat for the past week, constantly running over my head the best way to approach it and finish the project, but actually sitting down and completing the measurements to scale, the drawings and the calculations, I was able to figure it out.

I found out that the shrinkage of radius for this hat is directly related to the height you want to go to, so the numbers crunched out evenly, and a 26'' diameter flat, will become a 5'' high hat at peak, with a 24'' diameter. I counted 11 pieces on the figurine model of the hat, and since they weren't uniform in shape, I decided to make arbitrary widths for each panel. There is some curvature to each drawing I've seen of the hat, but I figure it won't be an issue since I'll have to taper the interior edges of each panel, I can just glue it all together and sand the shit out of it until it's more rounded. Hopefully if time permits on Friday, I'll be able to start the wood construction of it, finish it, and stain it so that on Saturday, I'll be able to polyurethane it early in the morning and get to work on finishing touches like the aluminum, bolts, and fur.

No comments:

Post a Comment